Recovering people-pleaser



I am a recovering people-pleasing, over-achiever, stop conflict at all cost individual. I was thinking about this over the past week since I have nothing planned but going to work and being home. In every new phase of life, I have had to get over pleasing people. From high school, going into college, to grad-school, starting my career, to getting married and having a baby.  I am fairly sure my people pleasing, backing down, and shying away from conflict is a conditioned or learned habit, as well as part of my personality.

 I have touched on a family trauma (I guess you could call it that) from 2006. As you probably could piece together, leading up to that point in high school, our house was not the most peaceful. Towards the end, it was all of us having to predict and anticipate what was going to upset my bio-dad that day and how to tip-toe around his temper tantrums to just find some peace in the home when he was in that season of his life. From a younger age, I learned quickly to pick up on emotional cues, under handed comments, and reading situations from my dad. As a kid, my brother and I were taught not to talk back, which is part of growing up; you don’t talk back to adults or parents out of respect which is something all my parents have focused on. I got good at keeping my mouth shut (sometimes). At home I knew if I let words fly, I would get one of my bio-dad’s irrational lectures or he would lash out over something a parent should not get that degree of mad over. I learned to say whatever he expected/needed me to say in order to pacify his need of control and anger at the world.

This part of my story was a snippet in time. Please do not think that my childhood was pure chaos and a mess. It was not. My childhood was blessed. Like I said, the chaos was more towards 2005-2006 when my dad’s life choices were not the greatest. My original family had some great times together. Being older now, everything is hindsight. Plus you have to take into account that I am looking and reflecting on things I remember as a kid through the point of view of a now married adult with a child. My “original” family unit was where I first learned conflict managements through what was modeled for me starting at a young age: try your best to be happy and put on a smile to avoid conflict (no attitude), do what was expected and achieve, do what would make my dad happy to avoid an outburst, and don’t bring it up. 

What I learned in my home was not explicitly taught to me. My mom taught me great social and conflict skills growing up through elementary and junior high. I was taught healthy conflict resolution yet lived in unhealthy conflict. I guess you could call it survival, adapting to circumstances, and get by with the least of your sanity taken. Over the years, I have had to break what I taught myself when I was younger. At my core, what I know is true about me is that I hate hate hate having people mad or upset at me. I do not like knowing that others do not like me. That little 13-year-old girl inside me cannot have people not liking her. Typing these statements, I am not pinning this all on the environment I grew up in. I take ownership of this need as well. Some of this desire to be liked comes from my personality and from my own insecurities. I used to apologize, do anything, and go out of my way to avoid or bar anyone getting hurt feelings. Right or wrong. Inconvenience or not. My doing or not. Your run of the mill people-pleaser. I have come a long way, but in high school and college era I couldn’t deal with people being upset at me because my identity was wrapped up in being a “good person”. And my definition of being a good person was having no conflict or issues with anyone, having everyone always like me.

I had a conflict come up towards the end of college with a close friend that changed how I handled when people are upset with me. I had many friends in college but there was one person who became one of my best friends at ASU. I had met him through kinesiology and anatomy classes sophomore year. We had the same major, and we started taking classes together if our schedules allowed. For 2.5-3 years we studied together, hung out, went to events/concerts, took classes together, and we became close friends. He was more competitive than me in all aspects of life (in a good way that I admired). He always tried to get a better grade than me in the countless classes we had together. I enjoyed it! I thought it was a fun banter to have whenever tests came up in the semester. Well, we both applied for graduate school our senior year, normal typical timeline of applying to get into a school straight out of graduating. A handful of schools that we applied to were different and we also picked a few of the same schools. Like everyone applying, we were hoping to get into one of the top 3 we picked. We both got picked for an interview on the same day at one of the top schools we applied for. We flew out together, did a little exploring of the city, and interviewed separately. Following the interview, it may be months till you get an answer. You are left wondering for what feels like an eternity while you are still completing senior year. We both ended up loving that school we visited together over all the other schools we interviewed and applied to separately. I heard back from the school close to Thanksgiving, a month or so after the interview. I accepted, mailed my check to reserve my spot in the class, and felt a bunch of stress leave me. My friend had not heard back yet. If you have applied to grad schools before, you know how this game goes. You are left there sitting, waiting, wondering, and silently panicking in your mind, which is understandable because it is what you have been working for your whole undergraduate career and everything in life (at that moment) is riding on getting into a school. After I got that acceptance letter, he stopped texting me, stopping asking me to hang out, and stopped asking to study together. We went from hanging out every week to no communication in a matter of weeks. Senior year you are taking half the credits because most the core classes are completed and now it is taking the higher level classes you are interested in, so it is easy to not see as many of your friends since everyone has different interests in a major.  When I did see them in person, he was distant and short in responses; it was not the same. But deep down in my gut, I knew the reason. I knew him well and his personality; we had been friends for almost 3 years at that time. It made me sad. It bugged me deep down to my core to the point that I lost sleep. I think it took me a week to get the courage to call him. I wanted to talk to try to see if I did something wrong or said something offensive. To my surprise, he picked up. I asked him if he was mad at me. He said something along the lines of yes because I had gotten into his top pick and he could not get passed that. I apologized that his feelings were hurt but I also told him that it was not my fault and the window of acceptance letters was not closed yet. I do not know where I got the courage to say that because if I had been sophomore year, I would have apologized profusely trying to be a “good person” and wanting the friendship back. We hung up amicably. It took a few months for him to get over it. The friendship went back to semi-normal after he got an acceptance letter into the same school. I was hurt by how he had treated me; our relationship was never that same after that, and I never brought it up again all through grad school. I could not change the fact that I had received my acceptance before him. I could not change his mind to not be mad at me. I released that friendship to however it was going to play out and stopped working so hard for him to be my friend. Through this, I learned how to let go of the need to have everyone like me, because sometimes like this situation, it is out of my control whether they like me or not. I also learned that solving conflict a healthy way (by calling and calming talking) gave me more peace than avoiding having a conversation all together, putting on a front that the friendship was fine and normal.

What I have took away from that situation and continue to learn over time is that my past backwards definition of being a good person, is not a particularly good one. It is a bad one that I have since chucked from my life. To be quite honest, it was an immature definition that I needed to grow from. At my job, like anyone else’s job, “customers” get upset. I am the one they work with regularly, have a rapport established, and I am tangible (vs an insurance company). I have learned to not take it personally, approach the person/family with sympathy and understanding, and to see it through their point of view; a parent who is concerned and flustered trying to give their child everything he/she needs. Even though a parent may get mad or frustrated with me, that does not make me a bad person. Most of the time, if not all the time, I am giving it all my effort to help them to my best ability. I must remind myself of that whenever it happens. 

Late in high school, my mom married my dad, who is technically my stepdad. I have learned to “conflict” in a healthy way through them. They gave us a good model for conflict resolution as well as how to calmly and logically handle disagreements. When they first had a disagreement in front of us, I had no idea they had had one. I sat there flabbergasted. There was no yelling, no fighting, and above all, no name calling. It was a respectful, calm, and an intelligent problem-solving type of conversation. I am not kidding; I remember going into my room and I had to keep telling myself that this was what a marriage should be. Do not get me wrong, I am not naïve, sometimes there are some not so nice fights/disagreements in a marriage, even in a family or friendship, because life and emotions happen. But I forgot there were other options outside of yelling and making passive comments, with no resolution. I went from a house with poor communication style to a house that was peaceful with conflict resolution. Even when my family disagreed, and I am not here to fool you, we had some serious disagreements and disputes, there was most of the time respectful communication on both sides. We were not perfect, but I had a better model in high school than I did when I was younger.

To this day, deep down I want everyone to like me and to think that I am a kind person. I know that is impossible, despite what that little junior high girl inside of me craves. I am improving at being okay with occasional tension in relationships. I am working at healthy conflict management and resolution in a new season of life because guess what is coming around the corner? My son talking and growing into a toddler who will eventually become an opinionated pre-teen.

Please do not think I am telling you to go look for conflict. That is the opposite of what I am saying. What I am attempting to explain is that there is a healthy way to disagree and a not so healthy way, which I am still learning. There is a delicate balance of tension in the world: you need conflict or tension in order to launch newness, create, learn, or grow. Maybe the conflict is internal, interpersonal, or with a belief system. Conflict is a part of life. What makes the difference is how it is approached, navigated, and hopefully solved. Could you imagine if everyone agreed on everything? Or you never questioned your thought process or beliefs? There would be no uniqueness, growth, change, or new ideas in the world which would be more boring than being stuck at home during COVID-19. I will never be able to avoid conflict; it is going to happen even despite my best efforts to avoid it. It has taken me awhile to come to this point in my life: I am not a people-pleaser; I am a peacemaker. This means that everyone might not be happy, but I do my best to bring calmness and harmony to a situation. What I pray for is that with any conflict, whether in marriage, work, family, friends, ministry, or personal, I approach it with grace, a spirit of humility, a heart ready to listen, and a peaceful attitude, ready to grow from it.

Shalom during this period of uncertainty,

Rachelle

Comments

Popular Posts